Getting the most from your OAN membership
Value for OAN members
The OAN is the community dedicated to the longterm success, profitability and excellence of Oregon's nursery and greenhouse industry.
From saving money to training opportunities, and from increasing the visibility of your business to making your voice heard, you'll find it right here. It's all broken down into four areas:
Choose a Member Benefit from the drop-down list to quickly jump to that section.
We're here to serve you. If you have questions about any of your member benefits, please contact us.
Exclusive OAN member savings
OAN members enjoy an exclusive fuel discount program provided by Supervised Fuels. It is designed to save money for both small and large operations. Save as much as 15 percent off retail prices. Card lock fuel and even bulk fuel delivery are available for some members. Call Kathy Temple at 877-277-5171 for details. [Learn more]
Trucks to Trade Shows
Each year, the OAN Trucks to Trade Shows program ships member plant material to the key nursery trade shows across the country. We reserve the truck; you palletize your show materials and deliver to a host nursery for loading. Materials then are delivered to the show. Participation can result in more favorable drayage arrangements. Space is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. For details, contact Ann Murphy at 503-582-2011 or firstname.lastname@example.org. [Learn more]
Credit card processing
OAN members save up to 25 percent off processing fees by accepting credit cards through the AffiniPay program. If you are currently accepting credit cards, compare your current processor with the Oregon Association of Nurseries. [Learn more]
Oregon Garden and Oregon Garden Resort
With more than 20 specialty gardens, the Oregon Garden is an industry showcase. OAN members pay a discounted $69 room rate (plus tax; restrictions apply) at the 103-room Oregon Garden Resort, which includes garden admission and breakfast for two. Mention you're a member when calling. OAN members also get discounted garden membership.
OAN members can receive discounts, free shipping and next-day delivery on office supply orders of $50 or more at Staples. Take advantage of pre-priced "Unbelievably Low Prices" catalog featuring 4,000 of the most frequently used items. Contact Debbie Hopkins at 503-582-2004 or email@example.com. [Learn more]
'Legal Access' advice
OAN regular and associate members receive up to 30 minutes per month of free legal consultation through the Legal Access program, in partnership with Jordan Ramis P.C. Contact Steve Shropshire at 503-598-5583 or toll-free at 888-598-7070. Have your membership number ready. [Learn more]
OAN Health and Dental Insurance
Receive member rates and personalized attention by an experienced team of professionals. Call Randy Skinner at Leonard Adams Insurance (503-296-0077, or 866-907-1850 outside the Portland area) for details. Be sure to let him know you are an OAN member. [Learn more]
» Back to top
Market research shows that trade shows are still the number one way wholesale buyers search for plant material to buy. Farwest exhibitors reach regional, national and international buyers. Nearly 50 percent of attendees are owners, managers or buyers; 17 percent are from retail garden centers and 38 percent are growers. Some 50 percent make a purchase. Key member benefits:
- Receive two free show-only passes and save up to 70 percent on additional passes.
- Receive a 20 percent discount on booth prices.
Don't miss Farwest August 23-25, 2012! Contact Shal Patton at 503-682-5089 or firstname.lastname@example.org or log on to www.farwestshow.com for details.
Published every month for more than 50 years, Digger boasts a national and international readership of more than 8,000 nursery professionals. Digger: Farwest Edition reaches more — over 13,000 readers! Key member benefits:
- Members may be featured in Digger.
- Members save 18 percent on ads.
Contact Chris Sweet (email@example.com or 503-582-2012) to place your ad.
Yard, Garden & Patio Show
Portland's best consumer garden show marks the official start of gardening season. Some 25,000 gardeners come to see visually stunning display gardens and hear national gardening exports. YGP lets retailers, landscape designers, contractors and nurseries connect directly with them. Over 85 percent are homeowners and 77 percent make a purchase.
- Members save 16 percent average on booth fees.
- Members can be featured in seminars.
- Prime media exposure through OAN's relationship with garden press.
Log on to www.ygpshow.com, or contact Allan Niemi at 503-682-5089 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OAN Nursery Guide: Where Buyers Find You
The annual OAN Nursery Guide is a powerful and economical marketing tool. The guide contains plant, service or supply listings from 600 companies 5,721 different categories. With a circulation of 7,000 across the U.S. and abroad, OAN Nursery Guide puts your plants, products and services in front of growers, retailers, re-wholesalers, brokers and landscape professionals. With more than 350,000 pageviews a year, www.NurseryGuide.com is an important way for buyers to find plants and growers. Key member benefits:
- Receive one free listing plus premiums for bulk listing orders.
- A 70 percent discount on additional listings — just $4.50 each.
- Average savings of 21 percent on print ads.
Contact Chris Sweet (email@example.com or 503-582-2012) for advertising and Debbie Hopkins (firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-582-2004) for listings.
Nursery & Garden Center Guide
This detailed map and guide helps 30,000 gardeners discover a wealth of OAN-member garden centers, specialty nurseries and online retailers. The Nursery & Garden Center Guide is also available online in our "Gardening Community." Key member benefits:
- All retail members of OAN are listed free of charge.
- Only OAN members can buy premium display advertising.
For ad space, contact Chris Sweet at 503-682-5089 or email@example.com.
Random Acts of Gardening
The OAN's gardeing e-newsletter and blog reaches more than 3,000 gardeners. The blog often features OAN member retail nurseries, gardencenters and landscape professionals. Its mission is to promote OAN members, gardeing and the nursery industry. To share story ideas, event listings and coupons, contact Ann Murphy (firstname.lastname@example.org).
OAN logos and Oregon Grown logos
Being an OAN member signifies marketplace credibility. As a member, you may display these logos on your website, in advertising, or in printed material for your business. Download the logos from www.oan.org. If you need assistance, contact Curt Kipp at email@example.com or 503-582-2008.
Shade Tree Certificate Program
The OAN Shade Tree Certificate Program helps homeowners replace trees that interfere with power lines. Foresters with PGE provide a certificate redeemable at any OAN member nursery. The program gives nurseries new business, as well as reimbursement for the certificate amount. Questions? Contact Debbie Hopkins at 503-582-2004 or firstname.lastname@example.org. [Learn more]
» Back to top
Education and Training
Assistance when you need it
Your one place to call for nursery-related questions: 503-682-5089, toll free 1-800-342-6401, or e-mail email@example.com.
Thirty minutes per month of free legal advice through the OAN's Legal Access program, a $200 value.
Up-to-the-minute news for the nursery and greenhouse trade for you and any of your employees through the weekly OAN Member Update e-newsletter.
Access to the OAN's nursery industry reference materials and Digger story archive.
Networking, leadership and career development
The OAN offers ample opportunities for networking and career advancement at members-only events and chapter meetings. Chapters are the place where members gather to build their business, learn, and have fun.
All members are entitled to one free primary chapter membership. Additional (secondary) chapter memberships are only $10 each annually. You and your staff can also gain leadership skills and experience through committees and boards, while shaping the OAN and the industry. [Learn more]
The OAN provides members information and tools to create a safe working environment. A Nursery Safety Program and a forklift safety DVD training program are provided to every new OAN member. Also offered every October are low-cost First Aid and CPR certification classes in English and Spanish. [Learn more]
All OAN members receive the weekly OAN Member Update, delivered directly to their email account. It offers important industry news in a concise, convenient and easy-to-read format.
Readers stay up to date on current issues that are important to the nursery industry, including regulatory issues, immigration, politics, trends, economic news, upcoming green industry events, and much more. For more information, contact Curt Kipp, 503-582-2008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members have the exclusive opportunity to advertise in the update. If interested, contact Chris Sweet at email@example.com or 503-682-5089.
The OAN Sustainability Initiative promotes the production, handling and delivery of nursery products in an economically viable, ecologically sound and socially responsible manner. Members have access to tools that help them save on energy costs.
- The Climate Friendly Nurseries Project, a partnership with the Oregon Environmental Council, helps members produce plants sustainably.
- Energy audits help members identify energy efficiency improvements.
- A partnership with the Food Alliance makes voluntary certification available.
- OAN members gain access to grant funds through a partnership with the Natural Resources Conservation Service.
It's also about leadership. The OAN has set a goal that its member community will reduce energy consumption by 25 percent by the year 2020. For more information, call 503-682-5089. [Learn more]
Companies across the globe are harnessing the power of Lean to make products at a lower cost, in a shorter time, with fewer defects and less human effort. Lean makes companies more profitable.
OAN's Lean Team is a group of nursery and greenhouse companies that work together to help each other improve their businesses. Members of Lean Team typically gain productivity improvements in the range of ten to fifty percent on a given process their first year.
Members get deep discounts on instruction and learn how to apply Lean in their businesses without expensive consultant fees. For more information, contact Elizabeth Peters at 503-682-5089 or firstname.lastname@example.org. [Learn more]
We identify, prioritize and communicate the research needs of our industry to encourage the research community to address these needs. We support and develop funding methods for worthy projects. [Learn more]
» Back to top
Government & Media Relations
Oregon Nurseries' Political Action Committee (ONPAC)
The Oregon Nurseries' Political Action Committee (ONPAC) is the political action arm of the Oregon nursery and greenhouse industry. It has the responsibility of raising and distributing funds to assist in the election and support of legislative candidates supportive of issues of importance to nursery/greenhouse industry members. The committee works closely with the OAN Government Relations Committee in reviewing these political and legislative issues.
Each election season, ONPAC interviews many candidates for the Oregon Legislature and issues endorsements based on the candidates' positions, record and overall understanding of nursery and business issues. If you would like to help elect nursery-friendly candidates, send your contribution to
29751 SW Town Center Loop W
Wilsonville, OR 97070
You can support ONPAC by competing in the annual Duffers Classic golf tournament. You can also contribute online.
OAN Government and Media Relations Services
In the state capital, the nation's capital and in the press, the Oregon Association of Nurseries speaks up for you! Key advocacy benefits include:
- Protection from burdensome laws and regulations.
- Representation on important issues, such as labor, plant pests and diseases, transportation and land use, water usage and quality, estate taxes and succession, and the environment.
- Access to key decision makers at all levels of government.
- Public affairs news and updates.
- Your story told to the media.
- Guidance and protection in media relations crises.
- You play a role in influencing public policy through grass roots advocacy.
Get involved through our Government Relations Committee. Contact Jeff Stone at email@example.com or 503-682-5089 for details. [Learn more]
Protecting your business and your bottom line
Because you are an OAN member, your investment in advocacy efforts at the state and federal levels pays direct dividends to your bottom line:
- With passage of E-verify at the national level, Oregon's economy would contract by over $17 billion (OSU/CWO study). OAN participates in, and leads, the Coalition for a Working Oregon to give OAN members a leadership voice at the national level. In addition, our lobbying efforts in Salem have killed numerous bills that would restrict access to a stable, legal immigrant workforce in Oregon.
- OAN has greatly mitigated the negative impacts of a federal order that could have restricted the shipment of plant material outside of the West Coast, damaging profitability for those who ship plants. This battle is ongoing, but without the OAN, this federal order already would have harmed Oregon nurseries.
- Thanks to a concerted effort by the OAN and other ag groups, the Oregon Legislature approved landmark estate tax reform. Owners can now pass their business on to their loved ones without punitive estate taxation. Your land can be kept in production, not sold off to pay a state tax bill.
- Members get more value for their tax dollar, due to OAN's work at the federal level to obtain specialty crop grants. Federal grant funds will help create the next generation of the online Nursery Guide with more powerful features to help growers match up with customers.
- Using other grant funds, a free manual was developed for growers showing them how to use the Systems Approach to stop pests and pathogens, and avoid time consuming end-point inspections.
» Back to top
We're here to serve you. If you have questions about any of your member benefits, please contact us.